Eating a balanced diet can reduce inflammation and stabilize blood sugar level, which can significantly improve symptoms of polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)! Dietary and lifestyle changes are the first step to tackling your condition, but we know it’s often easier said than done. That’s why we have recipes, meal plans, and grocery lists included in Pollie’s app to help guide you! For today’s recipe, we will be celebrating the flavors of fall.
Are you team apple pie or pumpkin pie? Our health coach, Simona loves apple pie and is excited to share this breakfast recipe with you. This Stovetop Apple Pie Oatmeal recipe is packed with fiber, healthy fats, protein, and antioxidants that’s ready in just 15 minutes! If you are planning to spend time apple picking this fall, make sure to save some apples for this delicious breakfast.
Keep reading for the full recipe…
What you need to make this recipe
First, let’s go over the five ingredients you will need to make this breakfast recipe and how they can benefit your overall health.
- Oats: Rolled oats are packed with vitamins, minerals, and fiber. There are many health benefits of oats, including lowering blood sugar levels, reducing inflammation, and promoting healthy cholesterol levels.
- Apple: Apples are packed with antioxidant properties that can benefit chronic conditions. Additionally, apples are rich in dietary fiber, which promotes satiety and regulates hormones.
- Maple syrup: Maple syrup contains antioxidants as well as vitamins and minerals such as riboflavin, zinc, calcium, and potassium. It is the perfect way to naturally sweeten any recipe.
- Pecans: It has been found that nuts such as pecans can help reduce cholesterol, insulin, and androgen levels.
- Cinnamon: Spices such as cinnamon are known to have medicinal and anti-inflammatory properties. People who suffer from PCOS may benefit from cinnamon as it can increase progesterone production and decrease testosterone production, helping to balance hormones.
Other ways to make this recipe
You can always swap out any ingredients in recipes to suit your personal taste! Below are a few alternative ingredients that you can try:
- Use honey instead of maple syrup
- Use other nuts such as almonds and walnuts
- Drizzle your choice of nut butter on top
- Add chocolate chips as a topping for extra sweetness
How to Make this Recipe
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup water
- 1 gala apple
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- Pecans (For topping)
- To begin, core the apple and dice into small cubes.
- Add water, diced apple, maple syrup, and cinnamon to a pot and bring to a boil.
- When the apple is half cooked (about 5-7 minutes), mix in the oats until it is a thick consistency and cooked through. Add water or almond milk to adjust the consistency to your liking.
- Place in a mason jar and top with pecans (about a handful). You can also add a splash of almond milk if you like.